Welcome to the Valley Chamber of Commerce Website
The Fortitude Valley district lies to the immediate north of the Brisbane CBD in Queensland, Australia. The Valley Chamber of Commerce represents the interests of all those in business within the suburbs of Bowen Hills, Fortitude Valley, Herston New Farm, Newstead, Spring Hill and Teneriffe. The area contains a wide range of different types and sizes of business, with a heavy emphasis on service and retail industries.
Potted History of the Area
Commerce has been central in the history of the Fortitude Valley area since its beginnings with the arrival of Rev John Dunmore Lang in The Fortitude in 1842. For much of the intervening years the area has been an industrial powerhouse for Brisbane and South East Queensland. Only since 1990, with the coming of urban renewal, has the face and character of the district changed to what it is today – a vibrant, exciting place to do business.
The Valley Chamber of Commerce
The Valley Chamber of Commerce is not your average business organisation. The inner city of Brisbane has a unique feel and special demands that are reflected in the business community. The area incorporates many iconic parts of Brisbane including Brunswick St. and Chinatown Malls.
Since its inception in 1985, the Chamber has played a leading role in representing the needs of local business operators. The Chamber knows the constant tensions that can arise between governments, commercial needs and local residents. The practical experience and the combined skills of our members, add up to an organisation that is best-placed to represent local people and their businesses.
The Chamber is involved in a number of focus groups and particular issues that affect the community. These include:
- Markets Committee
- Markets Advisory
- Police Community Liaison
- Urban Renewal Task Force
- Community Safety Group
- Valley Mall Advisory Group
- Chinatown Traders
- Chinese Museum
- Valley Business Club
- Creative Industries
- Property Owners Group
- Valley Alcohol Management Plan
- Inner City Place
- New Farm Neighbourhood Centre
- Membership Committee
By participating in one or more focus groups, members have the opportunity to discuss matters of mutual concern and to participate in decisions that will affect a particular industry and the Fortitude Valley area as a whole.
The Valley Chamber of Commerce is committed to ensuring that major issues are the focus for the chamber. The management structure includes multiple working committees address the day-to-day operational detail.
- Legal, Finance and Compliance
- To ensure that Fortitude Valley and surrounding districts remains the premier non-CBD business district in Queensland;
- To be the preferred voice for and on behalf of the business community in the Fortitude Valley and districts area;
- To support and encourage all member firms through advice, training, networking and advocacy;
- To foster and promote good business practice and commerce citizenship.
- Promotion of the area as a major trade, commerce and industry area.
- Protection of the lawful rights and interests of the commercial and industrial community in Fortitude Valley and nearby districts.
- Participation in the community life of the area and expression of the views and the interests of the commercial and industrial community.
- Development of relations of economic co-operation with other regions of Queensland.
- Presentation of a united voice in resolving issues relating to the business area.